Thursday, January 19, 2006

Toned-paper rules!

Just recently I was given a toned sketchbook from my friend Becky to try out. I was always a bit frightened to try to draw on toned paper. I guess the idea of adding the highlights and shadows always seemed a little daunting to me, but after trying it out with my new Kuretake brush pen, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it! I even went out to buy a few more books the next day 'cause I knew I might be going through this first one more quickly than I thought. Here's a couple little collages I made of some of my better sketches. I know that they're not that great, but they sure were fun to do!

11 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad that you've done such great work in that book! I hope you are enjoying it. I'm wondering if these are all cafe sketches, or are some from your head?

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Osgood McSonogram said...

Who sez you HAVE to add highlights? Oh, I see, Mr. Growe, you find it necessary to take someone with two-toned, dark skin, and make them WHITE with the power of your Browe hate. That's racist! This is the most racist post I've ever seen!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Bixby Snipes said...

The hair on the girl on the first page bottom right is outstanding!

This doesn't mean we're chummy chum now by the way... I am still going to destroy you.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Rankinstein said...

Great stuff, Brian! Keep it up, it only gets more fun!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Eren said...

Great sketches Brian! Brian rules!!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

yo man thanks for the comment and the link to your blog I'm honoured u'd link me like that great work keep pushing forward man and keep it fly and fun

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

ps looking 4 work myself so if u hear anything man I'd appreciate it if u let me know I need to eat man being out off work sucks big time well take care and i hope all is well

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Patrick Morgan said...

Great man! I love working on toned paper. I find it less freightening that drawing on a blank white sheet of paper. Great stoff.

cheers

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Garrett Shikuma said...

This stuff is Browe-tastic!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nice drawings!! Great gesture!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Brian Growe said...

Thanks for all the kind comments everybody!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home